Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Transgender Day of Visibility - March 31st

http://www.pridesource.com/article.shtml?article=34351

I just learned today is a new holiday. So new, I bet Hallmark doesn't have a card for it yet. Transgender Day of Visibility, started by a college student who wanted something more positive than Transgender Day of Remembrance (which is important but sad as it is about victims of hate crimes).

As a biologist, I'm rather "so what" about LGBT folks. There's variation in nature.
As a human, I'm also "so what" about LGBT folks. I just expect people to be kind and decent.
I'll end with a great quote I just read on StraightButNotNarrow.

"God didn't ask us to understand each other. God asked us to love one another." So even if you don't understand, that isn't what is most important. Compassion, respect and treating others the way you want to be treated - that is what matters.

3 comments:

  1. Uh excuse me ms thang but I work for a Hallmark store and I can tell you for fact that we... don't.
    In fact, we only have 1, count it, 1 LGBT related card. It's a "Yay you came out" card in our "Journey" bran section, near to our 'coping with cancer', 'divorce announcement', and 'celebrating sobriety' cards. Interesting mix, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. The world would be a better place if we all lived this way.

    "God didn't ask us to understand each other. God asked us to love one another." So even if you don't understand, that isn't what is most important. Compassion, respect and treating others the way you want to be treated - that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folks, Hallmark doesn't really do much for me anymore - although some of their cards have been pretty over the years. (Please don't take offense Theo.) When I truly look at a holiday and how I want to embrace it - I don't look for a greeting card, generally.

    The college student who started "Transgender Day of Visibility" should be very proud. Geekgirl this is very valuable and a very special day of note.

    God created each and every single being, and He created all of us with love. Contrary to what some anti-lgbt folks think - He hasn't just asked us to love one another - it is actually a commandment, and a very important one. The shame is that some folks just don't get that - which is their very own loss.

    The human world has so much to learn from the animal beings of this world. So much.

    Being l g b or t is determined while we are still in the womb!!! (Did anyone else see the show on BBC yesterday - "The Making of Me: John Barrowman?")

    ReplyDelete