Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Left out too long in the sun - so go to Iceland

Every morning for six weeks I have radiation therapy. They put little black "tattoo" marks on my body so they can line me up in the machine. I joke that it's really a connect the dots puzzle with no numbers. I have seven permanent dots. At least it is a lucky number.

The treatment doesn't hurt. But slowly over time my skin gets burned. Really burned. It's starting to hurt. It's starting to fall off. I take pain killers and they give me these little miracle gel things that I keep in the frig and wear at night. I buy new bras, the most comfortable I can find.

And every week, I see Dr. R.T. One day I'm waiting, listening to my iPod. He stops and asks "What are you listening to?"
Me- Music (I hate when people ask what I am listening to)
R.T. - What kind?
Me - This one is a little unusual.
R.T. - I love music. All kinds of music. I have 3000 cds on my computer. I love Frank Zappa, The Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead and Buckethead. I have a poster of Frank Zappa in my office. Every year on Frank Zappa's birthday I treat the whole department to lunch. If you aren't busy on Dec. 21st, come on up . (Note: this visit is in June). I love jazz. My daughter convinced me to expand my tastes to classical music. So now I try every kind of music. So what are you listening to?
Me - Sigur Ros
R.T. - Never heard of them
Me - They are from Iceland. Would you like me to bring you a sample?
R.T. - That would be great. And if I like it I'll buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment